Thursday, May 7, 2009

Good Beginning

I am not an expert, at least in the way we are used to seeing, with morning show appearances, articles, interviews and internet exposure.  But after years of refining ways to live well with a limited budget I know a thing or two about how to make a dollar stretch and still be satisfied with the options I have available to me. 

This is how I feed my family and save money.  It works for me, and I figured that some people may want a little help and encouragement in how to do the same thing.  It is possible to live well on a limited budget, it just takes planning and a willingness to be open to different ways of doing things.

Over the past 14 years, I’ve gone from feeding a family of 5 on $80/week, including gas money, to feeding that same family on $120/week, which does not sound like a huge increase at first.  But in 1995, the options for dinner were “which type of Hamburger Helper do we want tonight?”  (made with 49 cent/pound tube ground turkey) and lunch was toast, literally, while now, we choose from a variety of simple and quasi-gourmet dishes, with leftovers and even the occasional upscale yogurt (I love Rachel’s Vanilla Chai)  for lunch. 

My purpose with this blog is to detail how I was able to make such a dramatic change, and how you can too.  I will be writing about shopping, meal planning, what to stock in the basic pantry so you can make dinner even on those nights when it seems like there’s nothing to prepare.  Living this way is an adventure, and I am eager to share my experience and methods with you. 

1 comment:

Geraldine said...

yay! i'm looking forward to the posts.